Thursday, October 29, 2009

Packaging

1. To what extent is packaging important in marketing a product? Give an example of how a package influenced your decision to buy (or not to buy) something.

I think that packaging is one of the most important aspects of marketing a product. Packaging speaks for itself and there is no need for someone to try to convince you that the product is good. Packaging brings the consumer in and buy itself is a very big part of whether or not the consumer will purchase the product. The products use and abilities are still more important then the packaging, but it is still plays a very large role. I have been influenced to buy something based on its package when I know there is something I want. For example if I know I want to go to the store to buy deodorant, but I don't really care what kind, I will most likely buy the kind with the most appealing package.

2. What other products have iconic packaging?

Other products that I believe have iconic packaging are McDonald's french fries and Gatorade. The french fries container is known all over the world. The red and yellow container catches your eye and you know it is from McDonald's. The shape of the container is also very recognizable. A Gatorade bottle is like no other bottle. It is plastic like most soda and water bottles, but with a much different shape. The rounded top gives it a different look that sets itself apart from all other bottles. Also the design of the wrapper makes it very appealing. The lightning bolt and color of the wrapper let you know the flavor of the Gatorade.

3. What usability issues exist for packaging? Give examples of particularly good or bad packaging from a usability perspective.

When I think of bad packaging design I think of products that are packaged in tight plastic such as batteries and electronics. This plastic cannot be opened by hand. Instead you must use scissors or a knife to get the package open. When you do get the package open you must deal with the sharp edges of the plastic. I think there would be a much easier way to package items other then this rough plastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment