Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Science of Shopping

1. What points from this article do you feel are most important?

There were two points about good store design that I thought were very important. The first was Paco's idea about stores being on the right. I thought that his airport example was very true. I know that I would definitely be willing to cross the aisle to get something to eat, however, I may not cross just to browse in a store. However, if the store was on my right side I may take a minute to go inside and possibly make a purchase. The second point was his idea about clothes being placed on tables. If the clothes are placed on tables, like in Gap, then the customer is much more likely to pick up the item and feel it. The more interaction the customer has with the item, the more likely he or she is to buy it.

2. How much do you personally feel you are influenced by a store's design?

I personally don't feel very influenced by a store's design simply because I don't like to shop. When I go shopping I know what I am going to purchase. It is nice to have things organized to help me find it; however, most of the the time I know exactly what I am looking for and where I need to go.

3. Make a check list you could use to analyze a retail store like Paco Underhill does.

-What is the purpose of this store?
-Why is this store intriguing to me?
-What do I first notice about the store?
-How does the layout of the store help me?
-Is there helpful clues to aid in my search for an item?

No comments:

Post a Comment